Peter Derlet: Catalogue data in Spring Semester 2018
|Name||Prof. Dr. Peter Derlet|
Paul Scherrer Institut
5232 Villigen PSI
|327-0410-00L||Projects in Statistical Thermodynamics||2 credits||2S||J. Vermant, P. Derlet|
|Abstract||Independent study of selected topics in statistical thermodynamics (small projects with presentations)|
|Objective||(1) Supplement to and illustration of the course "Foundations of Materials Physics A"|
(2) Deeper understanding by independent study of selected topics in statistical thermodynamics (small projects with presentations)
|Content||1. Thermal Engines.|
2. Boltzmann- life and work.
3. Phase Diagrams of Multicomponent Systems.
4. How does a fuel cell work?
5. Magnetic Systems: the Ising Model.
6. The Gibbs-Thomson effect or "how difficult it is to be small".
7. Diffusion in fluids and soft solids: Fluctuations and motion.
8. Elastic response of soft solids: Entropic vs energetic elasticity.
9. The ant in the labyrinth: A first approach to diffusion and transport in disordered media.
10. Up or down? Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics illustrated for two-state systems.
11. Real solids: Thermodynamics in equilibrium.
12. Batteries: Kinetics and irreversible thermodynamics.