Marco Broccardo: Catalogue data in Autumn Semester 2016
|Name||Dr. Marco Broccardo|
Inst. f. Baustatik u Konstruktion
ETH Zürich, HIT F43
|Telephone||044 632 76 06|
|Department||Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering|
|101-0179-00L||Probabilistic Seismic Risk Analysis and Management for Civil Systems||3 credits||2G||B. Stojadinovic, M. Broccardo, S. Esposito, P. Galanis|
|Abstract||Advanced topics covered in this course are: 1) probabilistic seismic hazard analysis; 2) probabilistic seismic risk analysis; 3) seismic risk management using structural and financial engineering means; and, time permitting, 4) advanced topics in systemic probabilistic risk evaluation.|
|Objective||After successfully completing this course the students will be able to:|
1. Gather the necessary data and conduct a probabilistic seismic hazard analysis for a site.
2. Gather the necessary data and conduct a probabilistic vulnerability analysis of a building or an element of a civil infrastructure system at a site.
3. Design structural and/or financial engineering solutions to mitigate the seismic risk at a site.
|Content||This course extends the series of two courses on seismic design of structures at ETHZ and introduces the topic of probabilistic seismic risk analysis and seismic risk management for the build environment and civil infrastructure systems. The following advanced topics will be covered in this course: 1) probabilistic seismic hazard analysis; 2) probabilistic seismic risk analysis; 3) seismic risk management using structural and financial engineering means; and, time permitting, 4) advanced topics in systemic probabilistic risk evaluation.|
|Lecture notes||The electronic copies of the learning material will be uploaded to ILIAS and available through myStudies. This will include the lecture notes, additional reading, and exercise problems and solutions. There is no textbook for this course.|
- Jack R Benjamin, C. Allin Cornell (2014) Probability, Statistics, and Decision for Civil Engineers
- A. H-S. Ang (Author), W. H. Tang Probability Concepts in Engineering: Emphasis on Applications to Civil and Environmental Engineering
- P.E. Pinto, R. Giannini and P. Franchin (2004) Seismic reliability analysis of structures, IUSSPress. Pavia;
- McGuire, R.K. 2004. Seismic hazard and risk analysis: EERI Monograph MNO-10, Earthquake Engineering Research Institute.
- A Mc. Neil, R. Frey and P. Embrechts, Quantitative Risk Management, Concepts, Techniques and Tools, Princeton University Press, 2015
- R. Rees, A. Wambach, The Microeconomics of Insurance, Foundations and Trends in Microeconomics, Vol. 4, Mps. 1-2 (2008), pp. 1- 163, DOI: 10.1561/0700000023
- Earthquake Engineering: From Engineering Seismology to Performance-Based Engineering, Yousef Borzorgnia and Vitelmo Bertero, Eds., CRC Press, 2004
- Dynamics of Structures: Theory and Applications to Earthquake Engineering, 4th edition, Anil Chopra, Prentice Hall, 2012
- Erdbebensicherung von Bauwerken, 2nd edition, Hugo Bachmann, Birkhäuser, Basel, 2002
-Norm SIA 261: Einwirkungen auf Tragwerke (Actions on Structures). Schweizerischer Ingenieur- und Architekten-Verein, Zürich, 2003
- Bispec: software for unidirectional and bidirectional dynamic time-history and spectral seismic analysis of a simple dynamic system. http://eqsols.com/Bispec.aspx
- SAP2000 v15.1: general-purpose 3D nonlinear structural analysis software. http://www.csiberkeley.com/sap2000
- OpenSees: Open System for Earthquake Engineering Simulation, is an object-oriented, open- source software framework. http://opensees.berkeley.edu/
|Prerequisites / Notice||ETH Seismic Design of Structures I course (101-0188-00), or equivalent. Students are expected to understand the seismological nature of earthquakes, to characterize the ground motion excitation, to analyze the response of elastic single- and multiple-degree-of-freedom systems to earthquake excitation, to use the concept of response and design spectrum, to compute the equivalent seismic loads on simple structures, and to perform code-based seismic design of simple structures.|