Florian Kogelbauer: Katalogdaten im Herbstsemester 2018
|Name||Herr Dr. Florian Kogelbauer|
Chair in Nonlinear Dynamics
ETH Zürich, LEE M 203
|Departement||Maschinenbau und Verfahrenstechnik|
|151-0532-00L||Nonlinear Dynamics and Chaos I||4 KP||2V + 2U||F. Kogelbauer|
|Kurzbeschreibung||Basic facts about nonlinear systems; stability and near-equilibrium dynamics; bifurcations; dynamical systems on the plane; non-autonomous dynamical systems; chaotic dynamics.|
|Lernziel||This course is intended for Masters and Ph.D. students in engineering sciences, physics and applied mathematics who are interested in the behavior of nonlinear dynamical systems. It offers an introduction to the qualitative study of nonlinear physical phenomena modeled by differential equations or discrete maps. We discuss applications in classical mechanics, electrical engineering, fluid mechanics, and biology. A more advanced Part II of this class is offered every other year.|
|Inhalt||(1) Basic facts about nonlinear systems: Existence, uniqueness, and dependence on initial data.|
(2) Near equilibrium dynamics: Linear and Lyapunov stability
(3) Bifurcations of equilibria: Center manifolds, normal forms, and elementary bifurcations
(4) Nonlinear dynamical systems on the plane: Phase plane techniques, limit sets, and limit cycles.
(5) Time-dependent dynamical systems: Floquet theory, Poincare maps, averaging methods, resonance
|Skript||The class lecture notes will be posted electronically after each lecture. Students should not rely on these but prepare their own notes during the lecture.|
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes||- Prerequisites: Analysis, linear algebra and a basic course in differential equations.|
- Exam: two-hour written exam in English.
- Homework: A homework assignment will be due roughly every other week. Hints to solutions will be posted after the homework due dates.