Niko Heeren: Catalogue data in Spring Semester 2019
|Name||Dr. Niko Heeren|
ETH Zürich, HPZ E 31.1
|Department||Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering|
|102-0348-00L||Prospective Environmental Assessments|
Prerequisite for this lecture is basic knowledge of environmental assessment tools, such as material flow analysis, risk assessment and life cycle assessment.
Students without previous knowledge in these areas need to read according textbooks prior to or at the beginning of the lecture.
|3 credits||2G||S. Hellweg, N. Heeren, A. Spörri|
|Abstract||This lecture deals with prospective assessments of emerging technologies as well as with the assessment of long-term environmental impact caused by today's activities.|
|Objective||- Understanding prospective environmental assessments, including scenario analysis techniques, prospective emission models, dynamic MFA and LCA.|
- Ability to properly plan and conduct prospective environmental assessment studies, for example on emerging technologies or on technical processes that cause long-term environmental impacts.
- Being aware of the uncertainties involved in prospective studies.
- Getting to know measures to prevent long-term emissions or impact in case studies
- Knowing the arguments in favor and against a temporally differentiated weighting of environmental impacts (discounting)
|Content||- Scenario analysis |
- Dynamic material flow analysis
- Temporal differentiation in LCA
- Assessment of future and present environmental impact
- Case studies (nanotechnology, e-waste, landfills, energy)
|Lecture notes||Lecture slides and further documents will be made available on the homepage of the lecture.|