Christian Maximilian Thurn: Catalogue data in Autumn Semester 2018
|Name||Mr Christian Maximilian Thurn|
Empirische Lehr- und Lernforschung
ETH Zürich, RZ H 23
|Telephone||+41 44 632 83 06|
|Department||Humanities, Social and Political Sciences|
|851-0238-01L||Support and Diagnosis of Knowledge Acquisition Processes (EW3) |
Enrolment only possible with matriculation in Teaching Diploma (except for students of Sport Teaching Diploma, who complete the sport-specific course unit EW3) and for students who intend to enrol in the "Teaching Diploma".
Prerequisites: successful participation in 851-0240-00L "Human Learning (EW1)".
|3 credits||3S||P. Edelsbrunner, L. Schalk, C. M. Thurn|
|Abstract||In this seminar students learn advanced techniques to support and to diagnose knowledge acquisition processes in school.|
|Objective||The main goals are:|
(1) You have a deep understanding about the cognitive mechanisms of knowledge acquisition.
(2) You have a basic understanding about psychological test theory and can appropriately administer tests.
(3) You know various techniques of formative assessment and can apply these to uncover students' misconceptions.
|Prerequisites / Notice||Für eine reibungslose Semesterplanung wird um persönliches Erscheinen zum ersten Lehrveranstaltungstermin ersucht.|
|851-0242-08L||Research Methods in Educational Science |
Number of participants limited to 30
This course unit can only be enrolled after successful participation in, or during enrollment in the course "Human Learning (EW 1)".
|1 credit||1S||P. Edelsbrunner, M. Berkowitz Biran, Z. Lue, C. M. Thurn|
|Abstract||Literature from the learning sciences is critically discussed with a focus on research methods.|
At the first meeting, working groups will be assembled and meetings with those will be set up.
In the small groups students will write critical essays about the read literature. At the third meeting, we will discuss the essays and develop research questions in group work.
|Objective||- Understand research methods used in the empirical educational sciences|
- Understand and critically examine information from scientific journals and media
- Understand pedagogically relevant findings from the empirical educational sciences