Mathias Rotach: Catalogue data in Autumn Semester 2016
|Name|| Prof. Dr. Mathias Rotach|
(Professor Leopold-Franzens-Universität Innsbruck (Innsbruck University))
Inst f Meteorologie u Geophysik
|Telephone||+43 512 507 5452|
|Fax||+43 512 507 2924|
|Department||Environmental Systems Science|
|651-4053-05L||Boundary Layer Meteorology||4 credits||3G||M. Rotach, P. Calanca|
|Abstract||The Planetary Boundary Layer (PBL) constitutes the interface between the atmosphere and the Earth's surface. Theory on transport processes in the PBL and their dynamics is provided. This course treats theoretical background and idealized concepts. These are contrasted to real world applications and current research issues.|
|Objective||Overall goals of this course are given below. Focus is on the theoretical background and idealised concepts.|
Students have basic knowledge on atmospheric turbulence and theoretical as well as practical approaches to treat Planetary Boundary Layer flows. They are familiar with the relevant processes (turbulent transport, forcing) within, and typical states of the Planetary Boundary Layer. Idealized concepts are known as well as their adaptations under real surface conditions (as for example over complex topography).
- Statistical tratment of turbulence, turbulent transport
- Conservation equations in a turbulent flow
- Closure problem and closure assumptions
- Scaling and similarity theory
- Spectral characteristics
- Concepts for non-ideal boundary layer conditions
|Lecture notes||available (i.e. in English)|
|Literature||- Stull, R.B.: 1988, "An Introduction to Boundary Layer Meteorology", (Kluwer), 666 pp.|
- Panofsky, H. A. and Dutton, J.A.: 1984, "Atmospheric Turbulence, Models and Methods for Engineering Applications", (J. Wiley), 397 pp.
- Kaimal JC and Finningan JJ: 1994, Atmospheric Boundary Layer Flows, Oxford University Press, 289 pp.
- Wyngaard JC: 2010, Turbulence in the Atmosphere, Cambridge University Press, 393pp.
|Prerequisites / Notice||Umwelt-Fluiddynamik (701-0479-00L) (environment fluid dynamics) or equivalent and basic knowledge in atmospheric science|