851-0371-00L Coaching Students
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2020|
|Lecturers||B. Volk, R. P. Haas|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||The course “Coaching Students” enhances Student Teaching Assistants and other participants in their roles as student coaches, acquiring basic knowledge about coaching methodology and the mindset of a coach. The course is focusing on participants that are coaching student groups or teams or individuals with open tasks without model solution, where nondirective support plays an important role.|
• understand the basics of coaching and the roles as student coach.
• develop the mindset of a coach and reflect on their attitude towards guiding student learning processes (individuals and teams).
• acquire coaching skills and build knowledge and know-how about coaching methods.
• analyse learning scenarios and team situations by developing and verifying hypotheses.
• design coaching session and feel confident to use coaching methods.
• give and get feedback from peers and self-reflect on their coaching practice.
|Content||After the online phase students improve their theoretical knowledge, methods expertise and coaching skills in five double lessons with in-class activities. |
Here is the schedule with dates and topics
(Zoom-Meetings for Live Sessions on Mondays, 16:15-18:00:
Link is published in the Moodle Course:
• Sep 21, 2020: Kickoff including coaching roles and GROW model
• Oct 12, 2020: Basic coaching skill: aktive listening, asking questions, giving feedback
• Oct 19, 2020: Psychological safety and teambuilding
• Oct 26, 2020: Facilitating conflicts
• Nov 02, 2020: Reflexivity and participants cases
• Nov 09, 2020: Hypothesis and reviewing reasons for interventions
For the kickoff and each live session preparatory material is provided, enabling participants to start these sessions well equipped.