151-0222-00L Swiss Energy Policy in an International Context
|Dozierende||R. S. Abhari, M. Ambühl|
|Periodizität||jährlich wiederkehrende Veranstaltung|
|Kurzbeschreibung||We take an interdisciplinary approach at analysing important challenges of Swiss energy policy. In an introductory section, we scrutinise the fundamentals of both energy technology and energy policy. In a second section, we focus on Swiss energy policy and its interlinkages with Swiss foreign policy. Finally, we take a look at possible scenarios for the Swiss and global energy future.|
|Lernziel||Students will learn about the complex interplay between energy technologies and energy policy and develop an in-depth understanding of Swiss energy policy. |
- Learn how to analyse resource challenges (exemplified by the challenges of the energy supply system) both from a policy and a technology angle.
- Understand the fundamental processes of energy technology.
- Understand the fundamental challenges of energy policy.
- Develop an understanding of the specific energy policy challenges that Switzerland currently faces - taking into account international developments in energy supply.
- Learn the basics of negotiation engineering.
- Learn about the interlinkages between energy policies and long-term development.
- Develop basic skills in scenario-based strategic thinking.
1. Primary and secondary energy
2. Conversion technologies
3. Energy in industrial development
4. Energy policy in Switzerland
5. Cross-border exchange of energy CH-EU
6. Impact of global and EU energy scenarios on Swiss policy
7. Energy policy as part of Swiss Foreign Policy
8. Renewable electricity / economics and security of supply
9. Alternative fuels: technological issues, security of supply and policy
10. Smart grid and energy efficiency and its role on policy
11. External impacts: negotiation issues
12. Possible scenarios for long term energy needs of Switzerland and the policy implications
13. Impact of level of Swiss future European integration on energy policy
14. Global perspective of energy scenarios and its impact on development.
|Literatur||Suggested literature will be provided during the course.|
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes||ETH Master students with some background in thermodynamics|