|Semester||Autumn Semester 2016|
|Lecturers||M. O. Saar, X.‑Z. Kong|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||The course provides an introduction into quantitative analysis of groundwater flow and solute/heat transport. It is focussed on understanding, formulating, and solving groundwater flow and solute/heat transport problems.|
|Objective||a) Students understand the basic concepts of groundwater flow and solute/heat transport processes and boundary conditions. |
b) Students are able to formulate simple, practical groundwater flow and solute/heat transport problems.
c) Students are able to understand and apply simple analytical and/or numerical solutions to fluid flow and solute/heat transport problems.
|Content||1. Introduction to groundwater problems. Concepts to quantify properties of aquifers.|
2. Flow equation. The generalised Darcy law.
3. The water balance equation.
4. Boundary conditions. Formulation of flow problems.
5. Analytical solutions to flow problems I
6. Analytical solutions to flow problems II
7. Finitie difference solution to flow problems.
8. Numerical solution to flow problems using a code.
9. Case studies for flow problems.
10. Concepts of transport modelling. Mass balance equation for contaminants.
11. Boundary conditons. Formulation of contaminant transport problems in groundwater.
12. Analytical solutions to transport problems I.
13. Analytical solutions to transport problems II
14. Numerical solution to simple transport problems using particle tracking technique.
|Lecture notes||Handouts of slides.|
Script in English is planned.
|Literature||Bear J., Hydraulics of Groundwater, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1979|
Domenico P.A., and F.W. Schwartz, Physical and Chemical Hydrogeology, J. Wilson & Sons, New York, 1990
Chiang und Kinzelbach, 3-D Groundwater Modeling with PMWIN. Springer, 2001.
Kruseman G.P., de Ridder N.A., Analysis and evaluation of pumping test data. Wageningen International Institute for Land Reclamation and Improvement, 1991.
de Marsily G., Quantitative Hydrogeology, Academic Press, 1986