551-0963-00L Specialized Biology Course with an Educational Focus: Teaching Diploma
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2016|
|Lecturers||E. Hafen, J. Egli, W.‑D. Hardt, M. Zwicky|
|Periodicity||every semester recurring course|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Comment||Specialised Courses in the Respective Subject with an Educational Focus in Biology for Teaching Diploma.|
|Abstract||Specialist aspects of biology are covered from the angle of imparting these to pupils, their historical development, and their significance for the subject, the individual and society.|
|Objective||After successfully completing the module, students should be in a position:|
- to call up more in-depth specialist knowledge of biology, covering a wide range of topics, and to impart this to others.
- to explain biological concepts and principles, as well as the way they fit together.
- to analyse controversial topics and to give factual explanations for these.
- to conduct more in-depth work on a research topic and to compile a tuition unit based on this topic
- to prepare tuition units involving complex learning matter at a high specialist level which are suitably tailored to the recipients, and to teach these in a manner conducive to learning.
|Content||Demanding biological topics are dealt with under consideration of the special needs of persons involved in teaching. The module comprises the parts:|
1) Lecture (Tues. 08.00-09.45 hrs)
2) Colloquium (every second Tues. 10.15-12.00 hrs., begins on first lecture day)
3) Seminar with presentation (every second Tues. 10.15-12.00 hrs., begins in second lecture week)
4) Semester thesis in a research group (7 weeks)
|Lecture notes||Unterlagen für den Unterricht werden online mit Hilfe der e-learning Platform OLAT abgegeben.|
|Literature||Literatur und Literaturhinweise werden mit der e-learning Platform OLAT abgegeben.|
|Prerequisites / Notice||This Course lasts for two semesters. It can be started in autumn or in spring. Booking is only required once. |
Performance is assessed during the course of the entire modul, with a final test. Active participation in the colloquia and group seminars is required. The thesis report and an oral presentation have to be completed.
The Specialized Biology Course with an Educational Focus (12 CP) can be acknowledged, in agreement with the advisor of the respective elective major, as one of the two obligatory research projects (each 15 CP). In such a case, additional 3 CP must be obtained in another course.
In case of overbooking of the course, students enrolled in the Teaching Diploma in Biology will have priority for registration.
The course is organized jointly with the University of Zurich (Fachbereich Biologie) and is held at the Life Science Zurich Learning Center of the ETH Zurich and the University of Zurich.