151-0243-00L New Enterprises for Engineers
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2016|
|Lecturers||R. S. Abhari|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Course||Does not take place this semester.|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||Transforming Needs to opportunities for new technology enterprises. |
- Links between entrepreneurship and product development/engineering.
- Sales, marketing, financing, and growth. Detailed Plans and execution.
- Survival through cash flow management.
- Human issues in new enterprise
- Alignment of interests.
- Transition of enterprises along growth path
|Objective||Transforming Needs to Business Enterprises|
Goals of the course:
- Propose the role of Needs-Driven Opportunities for new technology enterprises
- Explore links between entrepreneurship and engineering; such as problem solving, planning, system analysis, can-do attitude!
- Making it happen- through sales, marketing, planning, staffing, implementation, financing, and growth. Detailed Plans and execution
- Survival (and success) through cash flow management
- Explore the human issues in any new enterprise
- Alignment of interests between providers of value (founders and staff, VC’s) and the providers of capital (Angels, VC’s, Corporation)
- Transformations of enterprises along growth path
Weekly lectures including discussions of international case studies
Exercises to develop and present modules of new plans
Extensive class interactions capped with presentation by each (group) student of new enterprise plan
Please see http://www.NEFE.ethz.ch
|Lecture notes||Course material will be communicated to the students prior to the start of each class for download.|
|Prerequisites / Notice||This course is primarily for engineering and natural science students at all levels who are interested in participating in the initiation or growth of a new enterprise. The new enterprise could be stand -alone start up or a new business unit for an existing enterprise.|
The class is practical in nature but emphasizes the basic understanding of the parameters that significantly contribute to the success of a new enterprise. It will be highly interactive with special selected guests from Selected guests from; companies founder, venture capital and business angel, and large corporation executive. Class attendance and active participation is required.