151-0621-00L Microsystems Technology
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2016|
|Lecturers||C. Hierold, M. Haluska|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||Students are introduced to the basics of micromachining and silicon process technology and will learn about the fabrication of microsystems and -devices by a sequence of defined processing steps (process flow).|
|Objective||Students are introduced to the basics of micromachining and silicon process technology and will understand the fabrication of microsystem devices by the combination of unit process steps ( = process flow).|
|Content||- Introduction to microsystems technology (MST) and micro electro mechanical systems (MEMS)|
- Basic silicon technologies: Thermal oxidation, photolithography and etching, diffusion and ion implantation, thin film deposition.
- Specific microsystems technologies: Bulk and surface micromachining, dry and wet etching, isotropic and anisotropic etching, beam and membrane formation, wafer bonding, thin film mechanical and thermal properties, piezoelectric and piezoresitive materials.
- Selected microsystems: Mechanical sensors and actuators, microresonators, thermal sensors and actuators, system integration and encapsulation.
|Lecture notes||Handouts (available online)|
|Literature||- S.M. Sze: Semiconductor Devices, Physics and Technology|
- W. Menz, J. Mohr, O.Paul: Microsystem Technology
- G. Kovacs: Micromachined Transducer Sourcebook
|Prerequisites / Notice||Prerequisites: Physics I and II|