551-0105-00L Fundamentals of Biology IA
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2016|
|Lecturers||M. Aebi, E. Hafen|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Abstract||The course provides an introduction to the basics of molecular- and cell biology and genetics.|
|Objective||Introduction to modern biology and to principal biological concepts.|
|Content||The course is divided into several chapters:|
1. Basic principles of Evolution.
2. Chemistry of Life: Water; Carbon and molecular diversity; biomolecules
3. The cell: structure; membrane structure and function, cell cycle
4. Metabolism: Respiration; Photosynthesis; Fermentation
5. Inheritance: meiosis and sexual reproduction; Mendelian genetics, chromosomal basis of inheritance, molecular basis of inheritance, from gene to protein, regulation of gene expression; genomes and their evolution
|Literature||The text-book "Biology" (Campbell, Reece) (10th edition) is the basis of the course.|
The structure of the course is largely identical with that of the text-book.
|Prerequisites / Notice||Certain sections of the text-book must be studied by self-instruction.|