402-0738-00L Statistical Methods and Analysis Techniques in Experimental Physics
|Dozierende||M. Donegà, C. Grab|
|Periodizität||jährlich wiederkehrende Veranstaltung|
|Kurzbeschreibung||This lecture gives an introduction to the statistical methods and the various analysis techniques applied in experimental particle physics. The exercises treat problems of general statistical topics; they also include hands-on analysis projects, where students perform independent analyses on their computer, based on real data from actual particle physics experiments.|
|Lernziel||Students will learn the most important statistical methods used in experimental particle physics. They will acquire the necessary skills to analyse large data records in a statistically correct manner. Learning how to present scientific results in a professional manner and how to discuss them.|
- modern methods of statistical data analysis
- probability distributions, error analysis, simulation methos, hypothesis testing, confidence intervals, setting limits and introduction to multivariate methods.
- most examples are taken from particle physics.
- lectures about the statistical topics;
- common discussions of examples;
- exercises: specific exercises to practise the topics of the lectures;
- all students perform statistical calculations on (their) computers;
- students complete a full data analysis in teams (of two) over the second half of the course, using real data taken from particle physics experiments;
- at the end of the course, the students present their analysis results in a scientific presentation;
- all students are directly tutored by assistants in the classroom.
|Skript||- Copies of all lectures are available on the web-site of the course.|
- A scriptum of the lectures is also available to all students of the course.
|Literatur||1) Statistics: A guide to the use of statistical medhods in the Physical Sciences, R.J.Barlow; Wiley Verlag . |
2) J Statistical data analysis, G. Cowan, Oxford University Press; ISBN: 0198501552.
3) Statistische und numerische Methoden der Datenanalyse, V.Blobel und E.Lohrmann, Teubner Studienbuecher Verlag.
4) Data Analysis, a Bayesian Tutorial, D.S.Sivia with J.Skilling,
Oxford Science Publications.
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes||Basic knowlege of nuclear and particle physics are prerequisites.|