252-0293-00L Wireless and Mobile Computing for Entertainment Applications
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2014|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||This course gives a detailed overview about the 802 standards and summarizes the state of the art for WLANs, WPANs, and WMANs, including new topics such as mesh networks, cognitive radio, and visible light communications. The course combines lectures with a set of assignments in which students are asked to work with a simple JAVA simulation software.|
|Objective||The objective of the course is to learn about the general principles of wireless communications, including physics, frequency spectrum regulation, and standards. Further, the most up-to-date standards and protocols used for wireless LAN IEEE 802.11, Bluetooth and Wi-Fi, mesh networks, sensor networks, cellular networks, visible light communication, and cognitive radios, are analyzed and evaluated. Students develop their own add-on mobile computing algorithms to improve the behavior of the systems, using a Java-based event-driven simulator. We also hand out embedded systems that can be used for experiments for optical communication.|
|Content||Wireless Communication, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, ZigBee, Standards, Regulation, Algorithms, Radio Spectrum, Cognitive Radio, Mesh Networks, Optical Communication, Visible Light Communication|
|Lecture notes||The script will be made available from the course webpage.|
|Literature||(1) The course blog at http://blogs.ethz.ch/stefanmangold/|
(2) The course webpage at http://www.lst.inf.ethz.ch/teaching/lectures/hs14/293/index.html
(3) The JAVA simulation kernel "jemula"
(4) The JAVA 802 protocol emulator "JEmula802"
(5) WALKE, B. AND MANGOLD, S. AND BERLEMANN, L. (2006) IEEE 802 Wireless Systems Protocols, Multi-Hop Mesh/Relaying, Performance and Spectrum Coexistence. New York U.S.A.: John Wiley & Sons. Nov 2006.
(6) BERLEMANN, L. AND MANGOLD, S. (2009) Cognitive Radio for Dynamic Spectrum Access . New York U.S.A.: John Wiley & Sons. Jan 2009.
(7) MANGOLD, S. ET.AL. (2003) Analysis of IEEE 802.11e for QoS Support in Wireless LANs. IEEE Wireless Communications, vol 10 (6), 40-50.
|Prerequisites / Notice||Students should have interest in wireless communication, and should be familiar with JAVA programming.|