252-0057-00L Theoretical Computer Science
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2014|
|Lecturers||J. Hromkovic, E. Welzl|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Abstract||Concepts to cope with: a) what can be accomplished in a fully automated fashion (algorithmically solvable) b) How to measure the inherent difficulty of tasks (problems) c) What is randomness and how can it be useful? d) What is nondeterminism and what role does it play in CS? e) How to represent infinite objects by finite automata and grammars?|
|Objective||Learning the basic concepts of computer science along their historical development|
|Content||This lecture gives an introduction to theoretical computer science, presenting the basic concepts and methods of computer science in its historical context. We present computer science as an interdisciplinary science which, on the one hand, investigates the border between the possible and the impossible and the quantitative laws of information processing, and, on the other hand, designs, analyzes, verifies, and implements computer systems.|
The main topics of the lecture are:
- alphabets, words, languages, measuring the information content of words, representation of algorithmic tasks
- finite automata, regular and context-free grammars
- Turing machines and computability
- complexity theory and NP-completeness
- design of algorithms for hard problems
|Lecture notes||The lecture is covered in detail by the textbook "Theoretical Computer Science".|
1. J. Hromkovic: Theoretische Informatik. 5th edition, Teubner 2014.
2. J. Hromkovic: Theoretical Computer Science. Springer 2004.
3. M. Sipser: Introduction to the Theory of Computation, PWS Publ. Comp.1997
4. J.E. Hopcroft, R. Motwani, J.D. Ullman: Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages, and Computation (3rd Edition), Addison-Wesley 2006.
5. I. Wegener: Theoretische Informatik. Teubner.
More exercises and examples in:
6. A. Asteroth, Ch. Baier: Theoretische Informatik
|Prerequisites / Notice||During the semester, two non-obligatory test exams will be offered.|