751-6802-00L Poultry Science
|Semester||Spring Semester 2015|
|Lecturers||R. Messikommer, R. Zweifel|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||German|
|Abstract||The overall goal of the course is to provide the essential scientific knowledge of the genetic, physiological and special nutritional aspects of poultry's metabolism, animal health and diseases, and of the implications for environment, product quality, housing and animal welfare, and breeding programs.|
- understand the complex interactions of nutrition, quality traits of products, breeding and reproduction, health management, diseases and husbandry as well as various production systems including environmental aspects and sustainable resource use.
- be trained to carry out interdisciplinary and disciplinary research at the highest level.
- be able to critically analyze published research data.
- be able to present precise scientific reports in oral and written form.
|Content||After an introduction, the nutrition and health/diseases (2x2h each) are discussed. |
In addition to the lectures held at the ETH, there are two days external courses at the Aviforum in Zollikofen (held by Aviforum and BVET). In this two days, relevant topics important for poultry science/production are discussed:
- Introduction, development and impact of the poultry production (egg & meat, national & international), organization and division of work, importance of the wholesale merchants;
- Poultry: production systems, Good Manufacturing Practice
- Egg production: sorting, handling and storage, product quality, foodstuff legislation, production scheduling and economics.
- Genetics: breeds, gene reservoirs, hybrid breeding, organizations and hybrids
- Hygiene: concept and needs, assessment
- Actual experiments (hens and broiler): practical training (exterior and performance test, assessment of husbandry).
- Origin of the chicken and its original habitat, wood hen -> requirements for livestock husbandry, anatomy and normal behavior, development of alternatives
- Animal welfare aspects of poultry production.
|Lecture notes||Handouts/scripts are being individually distributed by the lecturers.|
|Literature||Specific literature is being indicated individually by the lecturers.|