529-0455-00L Micro- and Nanostructures: Laser Applications in Research and Industry
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2014|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Abstract||Introduction to the fundamentals of lasers and their applications with an emphasis on micro- and nano-structuring. Several applications which are still in the research state, will be discussed together with industrial applications, such as microlithography and laser welding. Other aspects are the materials that are applied in these applications, e.g. photoresists, and their functioning.|
|Objective||Introduction to the fundamentals of lasers and their applications with an emphasis on micro- and nano structuring. Several applications which are still in the research state, e.g. non-optical lithographies, will be discussed together with industrial applications, such as microlithography and laser welding. Other aspects are the materials that are applied in these applications, e.g. photoresists, and their functioning.|
|Content||Introduction to lasers, Overview of micro- and nanotechnology, microlithography, photoresists: classical types and new developments, laser cutting and welding, laser cleaning, laser ablation, polymer ablation: designed polymers, lasers and surfaces, laser spectroscopy, laser chemical vapor deposition, pulsed laser deposition (PLD), special materials by PLD, alternative structuring methods.|
|Lecture notes||The script (a copy of the slides) will be handed out during the first lecture.|
|Literature||• D. Bäuerle, Laser Processing and Chemistry, 3rd ed., Springer Verlag 2000.|
• D. B. Chrisey, G. K. Hubler, Pulsed Laser Deposition of Thin Films, John Wiley & Sons 1994.
• D. Schuöcker, High Power Lasers in Production Engineering, Imperial College Press 1999.
• E. Beyer, Schweissen mit Laser : Grundlagen, Springer Verlag 1995.
• L. F. Thompson, C. G. Willson, M. J. Bowden, Eds., Introduction to Microlithography, 2nd ed., American Chemical Society 1994.
• J. Mazumder, A. Kar, Theory and Application of Laser Chemical Vapor Deposition, Plenum Press 1995.
• W. Demtroeder, Laser Spectroscopy: Basic Concepts and Intrumentation, 3rd ed., Springer 2003.
• F.K. Kneubühl, M. W. Sigrist, Laser, Teubner Taschenbücher Physik, Stuttgart-Leipzig 1999
• FSRM, CD-ROM: An Introduction to the World of Microsystems, Neuchatel.
• Arbeitskreis Lasertechnik R. Poprawe, CD-ROM: Lasertechnik, Aachen.
• J. Gobrecht, Vorlesungsskript: Grundlagen der Mikro- und Nanotechnik, ETH Zuerich, WS 2001/2002.
|Performance assessment information (valid until the course unit is held again)|
|Performance assessment as a semester course|
|ECTS credits||2 credits|
|Language of examination||English|
|Repetition||The performance assessment is offered every session. Repetition possible without re-enrolling for the course unit.|
|Mode of examination||oral 30 minutes|
|This information can be updated until the beginning of the semester; information on the examination timetable is binding.|
|No public learning materials available.|
|Only public learning materials are listed.|
|529-0455-00 V||Micro- and Nanostructures: Laser Applications in Research and Industry|
Die Vorlesung kann auch in Deutsch gehalten werden (nach Vereinbarung).
|No information on groups available.|
|There are no additional restrictions for the registration.|
|Doctoral Department of Chemistry and Applied Biosciences||Doctoral Studies in Inorganic Chemistry||W|