103-0347-00L Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2016|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Comment||Only for master students, otherwise a special permisson by the lecturers is required.|
|Abstract||In the course, methods for the identification and measurement of landscape characteristics, as well as measures and implementation of landscape planning are taught. Landscape planning is put into the context of the environmental systems (soil, water, air, climate, flora and fauna) and discussed with regard to socio-political questions of the future.|
|Objective||The aims of this course are:|
1) To illustrate the concept of landscape planning, the economic relevance of landscape and nature in the context of the environmental systems (soil, water, air, climate, flora and fauna).
2) To show landscape planning as an integral information system for the coordination of different instruments by illustrating the aims, methods, instruments and their functions in landscape planning.
3) To show the importance of ecosystem services.
4) To point out basic information about nature and landscape: Analysis and assessment of the complex interactions between landscape elements, effects of existing and foreseeable utilization of space (nature goods and services and landscape functions).
5) To identify and measure the characteristics of landscape.
6) Learn how to use the instrument of GIS appropriately in landscape planning.
|Content||In this course, the following topics are discussed:|
- Definition of the concept of landscape
- Landscape change
- Landscape planning
- Methods, instruments and aims of landscape planning (politics)
- Socio-political questions of the future
- Environmental systems, IUCN Red List, ecological connectivity
- Urban landscape services
- Practice of landscape planning
- Use of GIS in landscape planning
|Lecture notes||No script. The documentation, consisting of presentation slides are partly handed out and are provided for download on the PLUS website.|
|Prerequisites / Notice||The contents of the course will be illustrated in the associated lecture 103-0347-01 U (Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems (GIS Exercises)). An combination of courses is recommended.|
|Performance assessment information (valid until the course unit is held again)|
|Performance assessment as a semester course|
|ECTS credits||3 credits|
|Examiners||A. Grêt-Regamey, A. Stritih|
|Language of examination||English|
|Repetition||The performance assessment is offered every session. Repetition possible without re-enrolling for the course unit.|
|Mode of examination||written 120 minutes|
|Additional information on mode of examination||Can also be written in German.|
|Written aids||Calculator (not capable of external communication)|
|This information can be updated until the beginning of the semester; information on the examination timetable is binding.|
|No public learning materials available.|
|Only public learning materials are listed.|
|103-0347-00 V||Landscape Planning and Environmental Systems
Permission from lecturers required for all students.
|No information on groups available.|
|General|| : Special students and auditors need a special permission from the lecturers|
Permission from lecturers required for all students
|Geomatic Engineering Master||Major in Planning||O|
|Spatial Development and Infrastructure Systems Master||Compulsory Courses||O|
|Environmental Engineering Master||Landscape||O|
|Environmental Engineering Master||EM: Landscape||W|