529-0029-01L Structure Determination
|Semester||Autumn Semester 2019|
|Lecturers||M. D. Wörle, N. Trapp|
|Periodicity||yearly recurring course|
|Language of instruction||English|
|Comment||IMPORTANT NOTICE for Chemistry students: There are two different version of this course for the two regulations (2005/2018), please make sure to register for the correct version according to the regulations you are enrolled in. Please do not register for this course if you are enrolled in Chemistry regulations 2005.|
|Abstract||Advanced X-ray crystal structure analysis|
|Objective||To gain a deeper understanding of crystal structure determination principles and practice by X-ray diffraction and the evaluation of results.|
|Content||Review of principles of diffraction and instrumentation, unit cells, lattices, and symmetry. Inorganic structural chemistry: sphere packings, ionic crystals, covalent networks, intermetallic compounds. Overview of powder diffraction and application of crystal chemistry for structure analysis of polycrystalline phases. Working safely with X-rays, crystal growth, selection and mounting, data collection strategies, data reduction, corrections for absorption, extinction and Lp, advanced structure solution theory and techniques: Patterson function, heavy atom technique, Fourier methods, direct methods. Structure modeling and refinement, disorder, twinning, false symmetry, interpretation of anisotropic shift parameters. Determination of absolute configuration, interpretation of results and scope of chemically useful information, validation and publication of results, critical evaluation of published crystal structures.|
|Lecture notes||Information and exercise sheets will be distributed in loose form.|
(1) W. Massa, "Crystal Structure Determination", 2nd Ed., 2004, Springer Verlag.
(2) J.D. Dunitz, "X-ray Analysis and the Structure of Organic Molecules", 1995, Verlag HCA.
(3) C. Hammond, "The Basics of Crystallography and Diffraction", 2nd Ed., 2001, International Union of Crystallography Texts on Crystallography 5, Oxford University Press.
(4) J.P. Glusker, M. Lewis & M. Rossi, "Crystal Structure Analysis for Chemists and Biologists", 1994, VCH Publishers.
(5) D. Blow, "Outline of Crystallography for Biologists", 2002 Oxford University Press.
(6) D. Schwarzenbach, "Kristallographie", 2001, Springer Verlag.
(7) C. Giacovazzo, H.L. Monaco, G. Artioli, D. Viterbo, G. Ferraris, G. Gilli, G. Zanotti & M. Catti, Fundamentals of Crystallography", edited by C. Giacovazzo, 2nd Ed., 2002, International Union of Crystallography Texts on Crystallography 7, Oxford University Press.
(8) W. Clegg, A.J. Blake, R.O. Gould & P. Main, "Crystal Structure Analysis - Principles and Practice", edited by W. Clegg, 2001, International Union of Crystallography Texts on Crystallography 6, Oxford University Press.
(9) J.P. Glusker & K.N. Trueblood, "Crystal Structure Analysis - A Primer", 2nd Ed., 1985, Oxford University Press.
(10) G. H. Stout, L. H. Jensen: X-Ray Structure Determination, J. Wiley & Sons, 1989.
(11) M. M. Woolfson: X-Ray Crystallography, Cambridge University Press, 1970.
|Prerequisites / Notice||Students will conduct the computational exercises and examples of structure solution and refinement on personal computers.|
Prerequisite: Principles of Crystal Structure Determination (529-0039-00L).
|Performance assessment information (valid until the course unit is held again)|
|Performance assessment as a semester course|
|ECTS credits||6 credits|
|Examiners||M. D. Wörle, N. Trapp|
|Language of examination||English|
|Repetition||The performance assessment is offered every session. Repetition possible without re-enrolling for the course unit.|
|Mode of examination||oral 30 minutes|
|Additional information on mode of examination||Examination language can be German or English according to the student's preference.|
|This information can be updated until the beginning of the semester; information on the examination timetable is binding.|
|No public learning materials available.|
|Only public learning materials are listed.|
|529-0029-01 G||Structure Determination||3 hrs|
|M. D. Wörle, N. Trapp|
|No information on groups available.|
|There are no additional restrictions for the registration.|
|Chemistry Master||Chemical Crystallography||W|