327-2130-00L Introducing Photons, Neutrons and Muons for Materials Characterisation
|Periodizität||jährlich wiederkehrende Veranstaltung|
|Kommentar||Only for MSc Materials Science and MSc Physics.|
|Kurzbeschreibung||The course takes place at the campus of the Paul Scherrer Institute. The program consists of introductory lectures on the use of photons, neutrons and muons for materials characterization, as well as tours of the large scale facilities of PSI.|
|Lernziel||The aim of the course is that the students acquire a basic understanding on the interaction of photons, neutrons and muons with matter and how one can use these as tools to solve specific problems.|
|Inhalt||The course runs for one week in June (21st to 25th), 2021. It takes place at the campus of the Paul Scherrer Institute. The morning consists of introductory lectures on the use of photons, neutrons and muons for materials characterization. In the afternoon tours of the large scale facilities of PSI (Swiss Light Source, Swiss Spallation Neutron Source, Swiss Muon Source, Swiss Free Electron Laser), are foreseen, as well as in depth visits to some of the instruments. At the end of the week, the students are required to give an oral presentation about a scientific topic involving the techniques discussed. Time for the presentation preparations will be allocated in the afternoon.|
• Interaction of photons, neutrons and muons with matter
• Production of photons, neutrons and muons
• Experimental setups: optics and detectors
• Crystal symmetry, Bragg’s law, reciprocal lattice, structure factors
• Elastic and inelastic scattering with neutrons and photons
• X-ray absorption spectroscopy, x-ray magnetic circular dichroism
• Polarized neutron scattering for the study of magnetic materials
• Imaging techniques using x-rays and neutrons
• Introduction to muon spin rotation
• Applications of muon spin rotation
|Skript||Slides from the lectures will be available on the internet prior to the lectures.|
|Literatur||• Philip Willmott: An Introduction to Synchrotron Radiation: Techniques and Applications, Wiley, 2011|
• J. Als-Nielsen and D. McMorrow: Elements of Modern X-Ray Physics, Wiley, 2011.
• G.L. Squires, Introduction to the Theory of Thermal Neutron Scattering, Dover Publications (1997).
• Muon Spin Rotation, Relaxation, and Resonance, Applications to Condensed Matter"
Alain Yaouanc and Pierre Dalmas de Réotier, Oxford University Press, ISBN: 9780199596478
• “Physics with Muons: from Atomic Physics to Condensed Matter Physics”, A. Amato
|Voraussetzungen / Besonderes||This is a block course for students who have attended courses on condensed matter or materials physics. |
Registration at PSI website (http://indico.psi.ch/event/PSImasterschool) required by March 17th, 2021.